Pages

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Seat Belts

 I haven't been writing in this space lately...My life spun out of control for the last few weeks.


Towards the beginning, it was in a bad way, but now it seems to be converting into good.


*NOTE: this is NOT something I wanted plastered all over Facebook. I just want to write in my blog space about my life happenings without attracting people that don't really care about me or just want to know "what happened" vs. actually are genuinely concerned.*

So 3 weeks ago, I was running about 15 minutes behind my already late schedule. So about 30 minutes behind when I needed to leave for work. 

The morning was a blur. 

I was drinking my breakfast protein shake on the way to work. That time of year, when your air isn't on but neither is your heat (in your car).

My shaker cup slipped out of my hand and all over the front of me and onto my center counsel, creating a HUGE mess. That being my only breakfast, I tried to lean over and save what I could. 

As I looked up over my dashboard, cup in hand (I think), I began to slam on my breaks.

Far too late.

I smoked the back end of a semi.

I was in and out of blacking out, but I remember being so confused as to if I was OK. (I was, for the record).

I couldn't open my driver door, but I couldn't see out due to the air bags. I pushed as hard as I could and at the same time a very nice young man was ripping my door open too. I felt around for my phone which was still in front pocket of my purse which somehow stayed upright in my passenger seat. From here, it got really really blurry. I just remember continuously asking, "what do I do? what do I do?" The young man directed me to call someone close...obviously my parents. My right hand had blood all over the place but I couldn't feel it. I remember being able to feel how awful my knee hurt, but nothing else. 

The first person I called was my boss. He was very understanding...I obviously wasn't coming to work today. After that, I was somehow calm enough to take pictures of my car and send them to him, showing proof that I wasn't bluffing (he never thought I was, but I guess it was priority to me). THEN, I called my dad. I don't think my dad blinked and he was out the door on his way. I then called my mom and then my sister. I didn't start to feel the emotions until I called my sister. 

My dad took me to the hospital to get triple checked out. 

A side note: the sheriff, the truck driver (who was totally fine!---probably barely a dent in his truck), the tow truck man, and the two gentleman that stopped to help me / traffic were beyond kind. I don't think I could  have asked for a better coincidental crew to help me and the situation.

I got an x-ray on my knee (which was fine besides the swelling and bruising). But the days to come, were pure hell. And I mean that. My biggest injuries included a 3cm laceration between my fingers (which is where the blood was coming from) ---it was so disgusting >insert puke emoji<, the burns on my hips from the seat belt, the airbag burn on my hand, and the really bad bruising on my knee from hitting the dashboard.
 
Even later that evening, I began to feel almost every muscle and joint in my body ache. The next day was extremely difficult to move. And looking at the bruises and burns on my body sent me in a whirlwind of crying episodes. Then, about 3 days later, my lungs and throat burned like they were legit set on fire. (The air bag has a powder on it that did this to me--which later turned into a hellacious cold).

But in the end, I AM OK. It was extremely hard for me to look at myself for about a week and a half. Now that most of it is going away, it seems like so long ago. The odd thing is, it was on my grandma's birthday...So I'd say I had one heck of a guardian angel looking over me!

The moral of this story, honestly, is that if I didn't have my seat belt on, there's no way I wouldn't have flown right through that windshield. So if you need to use a story of someone you know as an example of WHY you SHOULD wear your seat belts, use mine. I give credit to the airbags as well, but mostly the seat belt. 

!!!!!!!!WARNING: These pics are pretty graphic. :| !!!!!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment